GENERAL MERCHANDISE MANAGER
Come work with one of the greatest brands in a rapidly growing dealership! Woodstock Harley-Davidson in Kingston, NY has an immediate Full-Time opening in our General Motorclothes Department. We are seeking a highly motivated, friendly, and enthusiastic person to join our team. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Managing employees and operations of the MotorClothes/Merchandise Department. Coordinates sales promotions and advertising.
*Key Result Areas*
* MotorClothes/Merchandise Department Operations
* Customer Service
* Premium Customer Experience and customer retention
* Productivity of department staff
* Sales and margins
*Duties and Responsibilities*
1) MotorClothes/Merchandise Department Operations
* Set-up and maintain a smooth running, efficient, appealing retail environment for the MotorClothes/Merchandise department.
* Ensure MotorClothes/Merchandise personnel are well trained and available when needed.
* Review all stock orders to ensure a fast-moving balanced inventory of MotorClothes/Merchandise.
* Coordinate orders with P&A manager.
* Maintain sufficient quantities of stock to support demand and acceptable inventory turn ratio.
* Follow procedures for ordering, receiving, logging into inventory, displaying, selling and restocking all merchandise.
* Attend dealer show semi-annually.
* Purchase product assortments, gauge stock movement, and devise promotions, when necessary.
* Design displays for merchandise, which are appealing to customers. Make effective use of: Fixtures, Wall Displays, Show Cases, Glass Cubes & Towers, Mannequins, Window Displays
* Ensure employees keep all merchandise and displays clean, well dusted, and appealing to customers.
* Regulate seasonal promotions (i.e. holiday display themes, special events, etc.) and coordinate them with other departments.
* Assist staff when needed.
* Become familiar and efficient with all phases of the computer systems required for MotorClothes/Merchandise management, including generating and reviewing inventory reports.
* Supervise and maintain an accurate up-to-date inventory management & control system.
* Complete markdowns in a timely manner as recommended by the MotorClothes/Merchandise Director and Harley-Davidson.
* Keep 12-month non-moving inventory at industry benchmarks.
* Employ sound management practices to ensure MotorClothes/Merchandise department contributes acceptable levels of gross & net profit.
* Hiring, training, motivating, counseling and monitoring the performance of all MotorClothes/Merchandise staff.
* Maximize return on investment of MotorClothes/Merchandise inventory.
* Grow the volume of MotorClothes/Merchandise sales.
* Maintain budgeted revenue and expense objectives.
* Develop advertising sales, and promotional campaigns for merchandise
* Communicate regularly with the Harley-Davidson Motor Company regarding: Policies, Product Availability, Product Style Options, New/Future Product line Studies
* Benchmark other retailers to determine “best practice” standards.
* Provide reports to Dealer Principal as requested.
* Complete daily, weekly, monthly, semi-annually and annual tasks.
* Develop monthly and annual objectives for the department in collaboration with Dealer
* Attend training sessions (Harley-Davidson University, Trainers, etc.) to keep current with merchandising trends & inventory control issues.
3) Customer Service
* Provide excellent customer service to all of the dealership’s customers whether internal
* or external.
* Greet customers immediately, in a courteous and friendly manner.
* Possess the ability to work with several customers at one time while maintaining individual customer satisfaction.
* Handle telephone transactions quickly, and courteously.
* Point out any sales, specials, or new merchandise to customers.
* Assist customers with their selection of merchandise and offer additional product that compliments the purchase.
* Follow the Premium Checkout Process when invoicing. Accept cash & credit card payments for merchandise purchases. Keep cash register accurate.
* Notify customers when special orders or back-ordered items are received.
* Handle customer complaints according to dealership policy, showing empathy and a positive attitude, and demonstrate our commitment to “make things right”.
* Make introductions to other departments to ensure cross selling of motorcycles, Parts and Accessories, Financing, Insurance Products and Services, Warranties and Service Plans.
* Attend training sessions as requested by the Dealer Principal.
* Stay up to date on all required HDU courses.
* Selling the fun and excitement of Harley-Davidson to customers.
* Work with the Marketing Director and Event Coordinator to assist planning and executing exceptional promotions to bring both new and existing customers into the dealership on a regular basis.
* Coordinate promotions with other departments to maximize return on promotions spending.
5) Other Duties
* As assigned.
* Establish departmental work schedule, balancing the workloads of all employees.
* Establish job assignments and sales quotas for all MotorClothes/Merchandise personnel within their skill level.
* Ensure all policies and procedures for MotorClothes/Merchandise department are followed.
* Manage employee performance (evaluate and council).
* Recruit, interview, hire, and terminate MotorClothes/Merchandise employees.
* Maintain records of all disciplinary action.
* Maintain records of all employee performance reviews.
* Provide training for all MotorClothes/Merchandise employees: Harley-Davidson University Programs, Dealer Shows & Expos, RPM training, Field training.
* Treat all employees and customers fairly, courteously, and with dignity.
* Model superior customer service behavior for all MotorClothes/Merchandise personnel by maintaining positive relationships with customers & employees.
* Be prompt and available for flexible scheduling.
* Be honest and fair in all business dealings.
* Demonstrate an interest in growing the MotorClothes/Merchandise business and exceeding goals on a regular basis.
* Demonstrate professionalism with customers, employees and in providing customer service.
* Review all HDU training and attend training sessions to keep current in MotorClothes/Merchandise.
* Accept direction and follow instruction from Dealer Principal.
* Work well with others.
*Qualifications & Job Requirements*
* Strong leadership skills.
* Strong sales and sales management skills.
* Experience with retail sales and inventory management.
* Previous experience in developing and coaching a high performance sales team.
* Prefer knowledge and experience with servicing of Harley-Davidson General Merchandise, and other products sold by the dealership, or the demonstrated ability to quickly learn them.
* Experience with Point-of-Sale management computer software or the ability to quickly learn due to general knowledge & experience with computers.
* Requires the use of both hands.
* Frequently required to bend, stoop, crouch, reach, handle tools and lift 50lbs of material.
* Requires standing and/or walking for extended periods of time.
* Normally indoors, however, some outdoor work is required during open houses or other events.
* The noise level in the work environment can be loud.
* Occasionally exposed to exhaust fumes or other airborne particles.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $20.00 per hour
* Employee discount
* Flexible schedule
* Health insurance
* Paid time off
* 8 hour shift
* Day shift
* Monday to Friday
* Weekend availability
* Commission pay
* High school or equivalent (Preferred)
* Retail management: 3 years (Preferred)
* One location
Work Location: One location
First indexed date: